Ingredients: 4 medium beetroot, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 inch ginger root, olive oil, 1/2 teasp grated nutmeg, 1 small orange, generous teasp horseradish sauce, salt, pepper, sour cream/creme fraiche or yoghurt to finish
Makes 4 bowls soup.
- Roast beetroot for approx 1 hour at 180 C – until knife slides in easily.
- Peel and chop onion and fry gently in olive oil to soften, not colour.
- Add peeled chopped garlic.
- Peel and chop beetroot (large chunks are fine), with peeled and chopped ginger, add to pan.
- Grate and add nutmeg, add sprinkling of ground pepper.
- Add sufficient water to cover, simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- While simmering add orange zest and flesh (I used Seville).
- Stir in horseradish (creamed or sauce).
- Blend to smooth puree (I use handheld blender).
- Add more water to give cream consistency, season to taste.
- The flavour develops if left for a while before reheating.
- Serve with a garnish of sour cream to be traditional. I’ve used creme fraiche and Greek yoghourt at different times. Both worked well.