- Giving and receiving books is exposing your heart Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler
- What does Philip Pullman say about writing fiction? Daemon Voices Philip Pullman
- Does this book need an index? The Man in the Red Coat Julian Barnes
- Is the clockwork octopus the most endearing character in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley?
- A book that is more than the sum of its parts? On the Marsh Simon Barnes
Cherrie Taylor on Why should we buy some books f… lifelonglearner on Silent sentences and exit… cleo hollywood on Silent sentences and exit…
Tag Archives: A plcae called Winter
We meet Harry, the protagonist of Patrick Gale’s novel, as he endures horrific psychiatric ‘therapy’ in an asylum. Why then, for almost the first third of the book, do I find it so hard to care about Harry? However, this changes, by the middle of the novel I was gripped by the story, and cared a great deal about what happened to Harry, and to his friends. The story unfolds against a convincing background of hostility to homosexuals, emigration from Europe to ‘the colonies’, persecution of Native Americans, WW1, Spanish flu, and (at-the -time) novel psychiatric treatments Continue reading